01 March 2011

Running Games: Faster than Traffic

There's a point in one's running life when the miles flow more easily and pass faster, when you've traced all the side walks in your neighborhood, and when you've already listened to the 3 days worth of music on your playlist. This is the boredom slump, and you become completely aware that you are indeed just running in circles.

But behold! There's hope for you plagued by mundane routines: Running Games! When I get bored with my runs, I like to invent fun ways to stay interested through my workout. Today's game:

Faster than Traffic!Picture of Pittsburgh's infamous traffic brought to you by http://www.flickr.com/photos/dskrzycki/2930773750/

Here's how to play:
1) Choose a route along a secure sidewalk or trail near a notorious clustercuss of traffic.
2) Time your run to coincide with rush-hour.
3) Identify a) a starting point, b) a finish line and c) an opponent.
4) Race said opponent from Point (a) to point (b).

For example:
As a South Side (of Pittsburgh) resident, I am all too familiar with E. Carson's epic clusters and bottlenecks, so on today's run I chose 10th st and E Carson as pt (a). Then I eyed up a white pick-up truck. Unbeknownst to the driver, they became my destined rival for a knock-down, drag-out to 1st st.

The race was on. As white truck sat guzzling gas and coughing up CO2 emissions, I easily pulled ahead. Then the distant light flashed green, white truck seized my conquered ground and then some. But my steady pace wore White Truck down, as yet again it became ensnared in gridlock. After surmounting the hill top at 6th st, the finish line appeared in sight.

I hastened forward, but alas with a mere extension of the driver's foot, White Truck dashed ahead. Insult to injury, a clumsy, clamoring PAT bus followed. Not to be deterred, I held my cadence and rejected defeat. At 4th st, I witnessed my foe rapt with the crimson beacon, and I sailed past. My fortune, however, soon changed when in no less than one blocked did the fickle temptress signal once again unleashed my enemy from her hold.

Mustering courage and strength I sprinted on toward the unassuming 1st st finish line sign with White Truck hot on my trail. With sure-footedness and victorious fist pumps, I landed on the sidewalk corner with both feet simultaneous in grand conquest with 4 car lengths to spare. Take that White Truck, today the bi-ped is supreme!

Look for more Running Games as I start upping the mileage for the Pittsburgh Half-Marathon in May.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

hahahahaha This was hilarious! And I love you so much for it!

I'm a total running loser. I haven't run at all lately. 2 weeks if discipline, 2 weeks off... that's not going to get me anywhere at all.

Ren said...

You are truly ridiculous, but it is one of the reasons I love and miss you.

Kaylyn said...

This is awesome and I will for sure be making up games to play while I run/playing this one...Also, yay for half marathon running!