25 February 2011

Beating the Winter

This is a typical wintery week in bleak Pittsburgh. Note the bi-polar weather patterns of 20 degree temperature shifts, precipitation of snow, no rain, no tiny kamikaze ice spears dive-bombing one's retinas, and forecasts just shy of "WTF?!" and "Who the hell knows?" Now ask yourself, what kind of lunatic willingly submits themself to such cruel humor of a rather ornery mother-nature. I do.

My $80 is paid, and I'm all set for 3rd half-marathon this May. Granted that's tons of time for training, so I need not venture out in these dreary weather conditions. Yet I'm out to prove I'm more headstrong than the damned Pittsburgh winter, and I will not let a little snain (snow + rain) keep me from running. Hence my goal of beating the winter.

Now that you've met winter:
You can appreciate why it is my duty, nay my life's work to kick its ass. How do I plan on battling such a formidable foe, you ask. I'll tell you that you may conquer it as well!

1) Running 3 times a week no matter what winter throws at me. Snain, I scoff at thee!

2) Indoor activities: mounting the heights of The Climbing Wall Inc., work-out DVDs, and best of all: Hot Yoga! What better way to tell winter to suck it than sweating and feeling the burn despite the wind chill?

3) Embracing my inner hermit by reading (The Chronicles of Narnia, Poisonwood Bible, Traveling Mercies to name a few), knitting and crafting, and well now blogging

4) And my best winter weapon yet: The Crock Pot! When the Februaries start dragging you down, reach for the best comfort food via this indispensable kitchen apparatus. Below is one of my favorite slow-cooker go-tos.

Beef Stew:
1) Brown a pound of local, grass-fed stew beef in a skillet with 3-4 diced garlic cloves.
If you're a Pittsburgher, I obtain meat from J. Michael Farms, who is currently selling stew meat!
2) Place 4 cups broth, 1 large chopped onion, 3-4 chopped carrots, green pepper, a 16 oz can of diced tomatoes, 3-4 diced roma tomatoes, more garlic, and one cup of barley along with the browned meat into the crock pot.
3) Cook on low for 6-8 hours



No comments: